Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Student Ideas from MMS

I asked Mrs. Maichin and Ms. Zaleski to see if their class could help us with some Project Based Learning Ideas... Here is what they came up with:


  • I want to learn more about syndrome's, diseases, disorder's, and how people get them, and which doctor tells you how and if you got it or have it or not. My grandma died of a disease in the head where she couldn't remember anything..... (Sarah)

  • I would like to learn more about criminal science and how solve them. (Keith)

  • If could explore a something in math, ELA, social study's, or science I would explore science jeans and genetics. (Lauren)

  • I think it's really interesting how people develop personalities and why. Is it in the genes? Is it true that when your 5 years old, your personality is developed? (Clara)

  • I think we should make a huge board game and 4teams would have 3 boats to choose from and they get 250 men and each peice they need to make big decisions abot food and water and there can be set back with storms and leaks they goal is to get to America and be the first one to set up a colony and each task had choices you can choose from. (Mikey)

  • In social studies I would like to learn more about witchcraft. It is a catchy subject me because it talks about people getting punished for no reason and that is not right that doesn't interest me but I want to learn more about it and why it was like this for people who practiced there religion then getting severely punished. It is a topic I would like to learn more about in social studies. A project I would like to do on this is make a 3d model on court with all the accused people. (Matteo)

  • Well yesterday I twisted 2 model magic colors together & I called it a double helix because it kind of looks like the real thing. So I would like to learn more about genetics & if animals genes affect their fur color. (AJ)

  • I think it would be really interesting if the subject to learn about would be why people develop likes and dislikes. (Maddy)

  • In ELA I would like to learn how to write more about poetry. For this project you can write it in madlibs . (Nuvaera)

  • I wanted to learn about different kind of disease's, and syndromes', and how people can tell if you have a disorder or disease or syndrome, and which doctor's tell that you have it.......... (Sarah)

  • I would want to learn more about cells. (Abe)

  • Help students like me who can't seem to understand two-step equations. (Pedro)

  • I would like to learn more about history in or world and do a time line about the history as a project (Tom)

  • I would want to learn all about space and why it is there. And how the planets got there and which on is the oldest. And how long everything has been there and is it possible to travel from one galaxy to another. (Neal)

  • I heard you needed help for project ideas. You could have your class do collages, scrapbooks or a sculpture depending on what the projects about. (Ryan)

  • You guys could do forensic science and go to the police dept. And ask them to teach the kid about the finger prints and how they use them. They could also teach the kids how they use science to catch criminals. (Stephen)

  • If I could learn about anything from the topics of Ela, S.s, Math or Science, I would pick the topic of science and I would LOVE to learn about or go to a rehab center and learn about the different drugs and how drugs and drinking will effect out bodies later on in life we choose. I think this will be a learning experience because it would make students more aware and cautious of the effects that could happen to your body physically and mentally. It might even change their minds and make them not get into drugs and drinking. This is what I would like to learn about if I had to pick and I think this is good for all aged students. (Erin)

  • I was thinking for a project idea is something with science like a fun lab or something like that (Nora)

  • I want to learn more about our universe and planets. Like what do certain planets have in common with earth. Or can some planets besides earth harvest beings besides our selves and if their out there if we can make peace (Dan)

  • History In America and the travels there We can make like a game where we are on boats and the 4 teams try to get to the end but every piece u have to make decisions about your food and water amounts and u can be set back by getting more stuff or you would get a leak and we try to make a colony in America we would each get to pick out of 3 boats and get 250 people (Michael)

  • A topic that I would want to learn more about would be social studies. learning about wars really interest me. The world wars is what I want to Earn about. (Richard)

Thank you all for your help!!!!

17 comments:

Kate Lukasavage said...

All of these ideas are great and a lot of them have gotten me wondering about things I never really thought about. Thanks!

The project I am currently developing deals with looking at how there is widespread hunger both throughout the world and even here on Long Island. I especially want to focus on Long Island because we can think globally, but we need to start acting locally and then maybe expand, right? My driving questions are: Why are so many people hungry? What can each of us do to help a bit with this problem?

Is that interesting to anyone? Does anyone have any tips for me as I try to develop a PBL lesson about this topic?

Kristin Hayes said...

Hi everyone,

Great ideas! There were extremely helpful. I'm making a PBL lesson about Astronomy and the universe, (I got the idea from you guys!) and I was thinking about how to go about this unit. I was thinking about a project where they can relate the size to football fields to help understand the relationship, but I'm kind of stuck on ideas to tie everything in. For instance, how the Earth moves, objects in space, and the solar system. One of the ideas I had was about having the unit based on comets that could come in contact with Earth, for instance,Comet Elenin.
Do you have any ideas or suggestions for me? What would you like to do for a unit on Astronomy?

asajjad220 said...

Hey Everyone,

Your ideas are great and very helpful. I think PBL is great for all subjects, but I found it even more interesting using Physics. I had a couple of topics, the one I maybe sticking to is gravity. I was thinking of using plants as an example? Any ideas?

Tortora said...

I am going to try my best to create a PBL on Geometric Relationships. I am currently student teaching in a 7th grade mathematics class and would like to create a lesson that the students will actually be able to use. The topics I want the students to explore are: right angles, hypotenuse, legs of a right triangle, Pythagorean Theorem etc. Do you have any ideas on how I can go about this? I was thinking have students go on a webquest. What do you think?

Nicolle said...

Hi everyone

Thank you so much for all of the great ideas. You came up with some topics that I would have never thought of myself.

The pbl that my group is thinking of doing involves living a healthy life and what kind of diet you need. We wanted to incorporate health and science and math into the project. We felt that it is important to understand why you need to be healthy and how your choices can impact you now and in the future.
Does this topic spark any interest to anyone?

Diana M. said...

All of your ideas were wonderful and interesting to read! I appreciate everyone's advice. You all should consider doing more research on the topics that interest you!
Our PBL is going to be on healthy living. We took ideas from Erin's suggestion about drugs. We think that this is important to add into our project about living healthy. Thank you again everyone!

Patti said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Patti said...

These are great ideas! Your suggestions made me realize that I want to make sure that this our project answers a question that students actually want to know the answer to!

Our project is all about food and how the things you eat affect your lifestyle. We want the students to understand why it is important to have a healthy diet.

Your suggestions were so helpful and made me realize that I want my project based learning lesson to engage my students and spark their interest in the subject we are studying. Thank you again!

Laura Johnson said...

Thank you so much for all of your ideas!! I am a Mineola graduate so it is nice to hear from current students. It was really nice to hear from your teachers about your class and how you explore different topics. And now, I appreciate hearing from you. All of your topics sound extremely interesting and I will keep these topics in mind for when I have a classroom of my own.

For my project, I was thinking about the topic of solving a specific crime. With the use of clues, students will explore the ideas of the Pythagorean Theorem, the coordinate system and proportions in order to find out who robbed the bank.

Thank you so much! Enjoy your class and Good Luck!!!

Clara said...

I think people are hungry because poverty is becoming more popular and because they are without money, shelter, and food, they naturally become hungry. We can raise fundraisers collecting cans and non-perishable food items and donate them.

Andrew said...

I would like to learn about science. I like to do little hands on experiments, like chemistry and biology.

Andrew said...

I would like to learn about science. I like to do hands on experiments, like chemistry and biology.

Stephen said...

I think people who live in poverty can't help it. They probably can't find jobs. Jobs are probably hard to find these days do to the economy. People should help the people who live in poverty get jobs, give them food, and shelter.

Leya Martin said...

I would really like to thank you guys for these amazing ideas! I was having a little trouble trying to come up with some ideas for my project and seeing these creative ideas helped think of some more ideas of my own. I really enjoyed reading the idea discussing witchcraft and being wrongfully accused of something. Also the idea of making a 3d courtroom was very interesting! As a future math teacher I can see how math can be incorporated into this history lesson so that was great! I also enjoyed reading the forensics science idea! Having a lesson where the students can have an experience of going to the police department and explore questions of how science can be used to catch criminals sounds like such a fun lesson. Thanks so much for the ideas!!

Katie O'Hara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katie O'Hara said...

Hello all!

I just wanted to say that you all had amazing ideas and that those topics you all wrote down were very interesting to me as well.

For my group PBL assignment, we are working on social studies (which I noticed a lot of you are interested about.) We are going to be incorporating the Revolutionary War in America and the important events within it. While this is mainly a history lesson, we are also going to incorporate english skills as students will have to use correct grammar and what not. In this lesson, creativity, critical thinking, collaboration, and communication will be key.

As students, do you suggest anything about this topic that you would particularly like to see?

Laura Renna said...

Thank you guys so much for your suggestions! It is wonderful to see how excited and creative you can be! Your ideas really helped us understand what interests you and how we can do this! I would love to explore the Salem Witch Trials, planets, and effects ot harmful substances. These ideas were really helpful!

My topic is about borrowing money and what happens when you borrow too much. It would have the students creating credit cards, shopping, and paying!

What do you guys think?